Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Beer Queer

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    One of the great things about living in a state with an ABUNDANCE of craft beer is that the next awesome seasonal release is always right around the corner. A lot of these seasonal releases tend to carry a bit of a following and have a bit of hype behind them. Today's selection fits into that mold, and when I walk up to a cooler and see a sign that "limits 2 per customer", I know I am making a solid choice. I know that I promised you a season of dark beers, but this brew actually allows me to deviate from those trends and get back to my roots a bit. The release of Hopslam signals the beginning of the New Beer Year, and reminds me that Oberon, and summer, are right around the corner.

In my mind Hopslam is the OG double IPA. Packing a 10.0% abv, this delicious treat is heavy on the hops and boasts a honey accent to sweeten the deal. It is not overly sweet, or dry (for the %), and is really very enjoyable this year. It is always interesting to see how the seasonal brews taste when they make their appearance; I have been burned by some bad batches in the past. Hopslam did not disappoint this year, and I am glad I was able to snag a sixer this year and get 'slammed.

https://www.bellsbeer.com/beer/specialty/hopslam-ale

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life." - Rabindranath Tagore

Donations may be given by clicking the green Donate button at the top of the forum

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    First of all, it makes me sad that most, or all, of my pics in this thread seem to have died. What's up with that? Stupid computers

It's been a while since we've met here. This space has largely been vacant as we have scattered about and gone our separate ways, each of us pursuing our individual glories. Its has been a busy year for me - and while the beers have been flowing, it has been a while since I have "regaled" (read: bored) you all with my alcohol-induced "triumphs." Tonight I decided I would try and bring us all back to the campfire for some wholesome sharing. You see, tonight I bring with me some wet-hopped Devil's Lettuce. I figured sharing is caring, and no one person alone is entitled to the Devi's Lettuce; It's important that we share this beautiful thing, as it is meant to be enjoyed by all. So tonight I raise my glass to all of you! Keep it Stokee, friends.

This India-style pale lager brings with it a bit of a punch, coming in at 7.1%abv. The author's notes indicate citrus undertones complimented by spice and a "low malt." Me, I taste a very drinkable, and shareable, brew for a rainy fall night after a hard day's work. This boozy beauty was just the tonic I needed, and exceeded my expectations. I hope this message finds you all well - if you happen to read it in an hour, or in the year(s) to come =)

https://www.shortsbrewing.com/beers/devils-lettuce/

Last edited by iStokee; 10-27-2019 at 12:29 PM.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life." - Rabindranath Tagore

Donations may be given by clicking the green Donate button at the top of the forum

3. RiD, xcendrox liked this post
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Complimented by "spice" you say good sir? Being that winter is slowly approaching us,Are you perhaps wearing your furry boots and instead of going to your local Starbucks for the in season spicy pumpkin beverages you made a wrong turn and picked up a case of these delightful beauties?

6. iStokee liked this post
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Oh no, I rock my Han Solo outfit with the best of the basic bros. I’ve already had my fair share of the various Oktoberfests
    Last edited by iStokee; 10-27-2019 at 12:19 PM.

9. xcendrox liked this post
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    I wanted to do something a bit different this evening, as this is a special occasion for me. Although many of you wont know it, especially those reading this in the future, this is the first edition of the beer queer that I am posting with a white name instead of the a green one. Granted it has been a few days since the promotion, I wanted to do something a little special for this one to mark the occasion. As fate would have it, I was given a recommendation from a new voice earlier today, and that made for the perfect opportunity to deviate from my typical template. Knowing that I had a multi-tiered adventure to go on this evening, I decided to record my thoughts as I go, and post it at the end of the evening. As such, you will be reading a sort of play-by-play. Enjoy

(first cracked at 9:16pm)
    The first taste of the evening comes recommended by one of your fellow forum-mates; albiet one that has a fancy new blue coat of paint. After he recommended a few brews to me I popped next door (yes, literally next door) to the beer store to see what I could sleuth out. I only found one of the two, and that one is a Westmalle Trappist Tripel. I wasnt sure what I was going to think, so I opted for the 11.2oz bottle in lieu of the larger pint. I have to say, I regret it. This thing is quite awesome. With citrus notes and a nice buscuity head, there is little evidence that it comes packing a 9.5%abv payload. This beer actually reminds me of another that I have featured here many times, and that is one of my all-time favorites, Oberon. Now, this is more subtle with the fruit notes and presents a bit more complex of a taste pallete, in addition to the extra over 3%abv. I have already been telling some of my fellow beer queers about how tasty this is, and will likely snag a few for the next round of debauchery.

Well played Cedric, well played indeed.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/208/646/

(sad that it is now gone)

(bottle 2 opened at 10:10)
    Mas Agave by Founders
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/401036/

This time we are going to be a little less subtile. Riding the good vibes from our first adventure, we are now going to take a trip south to Mexico. This brew is one that is part of Founder's barrel-aged series along side KBS and CBS. This thing, whew. It is very sweet and sour. Like drinking a thick, malty margarita. Don't get me wrong, it is very good!, but I'm not sure how many of these I could drink in one sitting. This thing is really unlike anything else I have tried though. It is a sour, true to form, but then it comes swinging in with a nice ta-KILL-ya punch to round it out. I appreciate the idea of aging a beer in a liqour barrel, and I think all of the bourbon-aged dark beers exemplify that, but i'm not sure a tequila barrel is the proper thing to bring into the mix.

(phone call #1 at 10:23)

This this is an intersting experience for sure. Like a hike through the desert it is bright and full of adventure. I will say that this was probably not as chilled as I would have liked it to have been, so the flavor profile changed on me as the beer warmed. It is still sweet, but now it is a bit heavier and the booze is taking hold over the lime.

(10:53 call #2 until 11:30)

Alright, lets bring this on home. Time and warmth do not do this beer favors, as it is now a dark carmel-colored explosion of liquid that is reminiscient of the mixture that they would use to make a "hard" margarita snow cone. Idk, I dont think this is my style. Though I will say, I am nice and toasty and this beaut certainly played a part in that. What they did, they did well, but I dont think they did it for me.

Anyways, this has been an adventure in Stokee Land. Hopefully you all have enjoyed yourselves. Here's to @Cedric for the recommendation, and for your shiny silver star. To @xcendrox and @Trent!, here's to your promotion to Forum Mod. Also, nice gold star RiD
    Last edited by iStokee; 12-01-2019 at 06:19 AM.

12. Cedric thanked for this post
    xcendrox, RiD, Trent!, church liked this post