Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cedric's approach to bodybuilding

U mirin' the Banter  
     Merchant   $50 Credit    Premium: 1500->2000 hours used  Free Bots: 300->500 hours used  Guideline Breaker   99 Firemaking 99 Fishing 99 Fletch 99 Herblore 99 Wc 99 Thieving 99 Crafting 99 Con 99 Cook 99 Agility 99 Miner 99 Prayer 99 Hp 99 Defence 99 Strength 99 Attack 99 Range 99 Smith 99 Mager 
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Thumbs up Cedric's approach to bodybuilding

Alright gentlemen here I present to you my physique's bread and butter, the routine that I'm currently performing (optimized from personal experience since I started lifting). I've edited a couple of things that were changed since my last routine. I'm currently cutting also (caloric deficit).

My weight-lifting routine:

4-way split

The way I go about it is as the title suggest a 4-way split which means I will lift weights four times in a week. This is much less time consuming than working out everyday and much more effective because it gives the body time to recover, I'm rather occupied with my studies these days so I have to keep being extremely time-efficient. I usually lift about 45 minutes to 1 hour per session.

!!ABS!!

I train abs inbetween sets of bicep and tricep exercises and during rest days (that's why they say core), these are the exercises I perform:

- Sit-ups
    - Bicycle Crunches
    - Mountain-climbers / plank

Day 1: Triceps
    Day 2: Rest/Core
    Day 3: Biceps
    Day 4: Rest/Core
    Day 5: Chest / Legs / oblique
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Triceps or Rest/core

You can of course switch up the training days to however you please, but make sure to have at least one day in between to avoid injury or not giving your muscle tissue enough time to recover.

Triceps Day:

- 3 sets of chair dips until failure each set.
    Easy to perform and will give you a definite burning sensation. This is my warm-up exercise also, so it's not always just 3 sets, sometimes I'll do 4 or 5. I do them very slowly, I don't go for high rep count.

- 3 sets of close grip bench press (Barbell).
    Until failure each set if you have a spotting partner, if you don't I recommend you don't go to failure. Again slow and controlled reps. (Usually 8-10)

- 3 sets of skull crushers until failure each set. (EZ Curl Bar)
    Try and leave as little time as possible between the sets without going under 7 reps per set, this will take some time to figure out and will change in time as well. Also use controlled movements to make sure you don't develop elbow tendonitis, feeling a sharp pain is a good indication that you need to slow down your upwards movement.

Chest/legs/oblique Day:

- 3 sets of wide grip pushups until failure.
    I'm sure everyone knows how to do these, but to get the best muscle contraction try going down slow and exploding upwards.
    I super-set these wide grip push-ups with olympic squats. 3 sets of 15 reps (because I'm still working on my form)

- 3-4 sets of flat barbell bench-press until failure if you have spotting partner, if you don't I recommend you don't go to failure as this might cause serious injuries.

I super-set these with dumbbell side bends, I do these for the same amount of sets as my flat bench press and until failure.

- 3 sets of Incline bench press until failure if you have spotting partner, if you don't I recommend you don't go to failure as this might cause serious injuries.
    Same principle though I bring the barbell closer to my chin than my nipple to work the upper chest. (And of course the bench you're on is set to incline)

Biceps day:

- 3 sets of standing bicep curls until failure. (barbell)
    Slow motion with full range, if you have to mess up your form a little to squeeze out a fraction of a rep, you should within reason.

- 3 sets of close grip chin/pull ups until failure, with an under the bar grip (look at hands in the picture)

- 3 sets of hammer curls until failure each set. (dumbbells)

- 3 sets of concentration curls until failure. I drop-set these too get that extra pump.

Cardiovascular routine:

I can't do HIIT because of my shin splints so this routine is outdated, I merely do slow-paced cardio (running) on rest days for about 45 minutes and will start swimming soon.

As of now it's a mix between HIIT and regular long slow paced cardiovascular activity. I do HIIT on non-lifting days and the latter on the days when I do. I only go running for my cardio, bicycling and the like are just too boring for my taste.

Day 1: Slow paced cardio
    Day 2: HIIT
    Day 3: HIIT
    Day 4: Slow paced cardio
    Day 5: HIIT
    Day 6: Slow paced cardio
    Day 7: HIIT

If you're wondering what HIIT is it's a form of cardiovascular exercise with short bursts of activity instead of the traditional slow-paced cardio. It is the perfect tool for fat burning and I will explain why. Basically, the short bursts of energy characteristic of non-steady-state activities normally require some kind of metabolic pathway. These little pathways are going to do something that's called ATP degradation (into ADP). Once you've got this ADP in yo body your gonna want to recreate that ATP but for that your need phosphocreatine plus the breakdown of glucose into pyruvic acid. If you don't happen to have oxygen available at this time this will become an anearobic reaction resulting in lactate (muscle cramps and whatnot). Thus the body is going to have to dispose of this lactate and rephosphorylate the creatine and ADP. This will ultimately result in EPOC (increased oxygen consumption) 16 hours after your work-out resulting in greater fat loss.

How I go about my HIIT sessions:

I run at jogging speed for about 5 minutes to warm up.

Start sprinting for 30 seconds at 100%
    Start jogging/walking for 30 seconds.
    Start sprinting for 30 seconds at 95%
    Start jogging/walking for 30 seconds.
    Start sprinting for 30 seconds at 95%

The whole process of sprinting and jogging (1 minute) is repeated 12 TIMES!
    *There are handy apps for HIIT exercise (Gym Boss for the Iphone and HIIT for Android)

Nutrition/supplementation:

To get the best out of your bodybuilding experience and gain the quickest results you have to be able to control yourself by not eating or drinking certain foods/beverages.
    I go about it like this:

- I only drink water (with the monthly exception of alcohol at parties).
    - I don't eat sweets like candybars, chocolate or any of the like.
    - I don't eat pasta, rice and white bread or at least avoid them as much as I can.

I only eat between 1 and 5 PM (4-hour) window, I've written up a thread on why I do this and why I believe it's the fastest way too lose bodyfat.

As far as supplements go I take a pre-workout and whey protein, I've tried out fair few pre-workouts and only found Craze by Driven Sports to be an effective one. For my protein needs I take 100% Gold Standard whey by optimum nutrition which in my eyes is the best price/value whey protein you can find on the market as of now.

I take my protein only on lifting days and right after (1-2 hours) my lifting session for optimal protein synthesis.

So pre-workout: Craze by Driven Sports
    (* I've tried: Jack3d, ON pre-platinum, hemo-rage black, Assault also)
    protein: Gold Standard Whey by Optimum Nutrition.

Constructive criticism, suggestions and questions are always welcome

TL;DR Acquire AESTHETICS

Last edited by Cedric; 04-30-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    ​Lest we forget

2. TriniOli, Green Viper, gravedigger, Rumo, Aufi, BlueSteel thanked for this post
    Endy., RiD, jjh3owns, Goofy liked this post
    Veteran Member  
    Merchant   $10 Credit    Premium: 2000->3000 hours used  99 Fishing 99 Fletch 99 Strength 99 Attack 
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Cool story bro

5. rossapher5428 liked this post
    U mirin' the Banter  
     Merchant   $50 Credit    Premium: 1500->2000 hours used  Free Bots: 300->500 hours used  Guideline Breaker   99 Firemaking 99 Fishing 99 Fletch 99 Herblore 99 Wc 99 Thieving 99 Crafting 99 Con 99 Cook 99 Agility 99 Miner 99 Prayer 99 Hp 99 Defence 99 Strength 99 Attack 99 Range 99 Smith 99 Mager 
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C0N0R View Post
    Cool story bro
    You don't wanna get big conor ?
    ​Lest we forget

8. jjh3owns liked this post
    Veteran Member  
    Merchant   $10 Credit    Premium: 2000->3000 hours used  99 Fishing 99 Fletch 99 Strength 99 Attack 
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric. View Post
    You don't wanna get big conor ?
    I do, but i need a structured workout. Once i get my license i really would like to start hitting them gym. Get it in ~3 weeks.
    I started cutting back on a lot of the junk food i used to eat, and ive already lost ~8 pounds in a week. So i figure diet until i can gym, then diet and gym

Lifetime ViP  
    Merchant   $200 Credit    Premium: 1500->2000 hours used  Free Bots: 100->200 hours used  99 Fishing 99 Fletch 99 Wc 99 Thieving 99 Cook 99 Strength 99 Attack 99 Mager 
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    sexy cedric +1

Mentioned
    1214 Post(s)
    I'm just curious about the intermittent fasting, is that something you do constantly or just when you want to cut down bodyfat?
    Do you not feel a bit weird or groggy if you haven't eaten in that long?
    And are you going through bulking and cutting cycles, or is your diet and training pretty stable?

Can't really criticize this workout, sounds legit, a lot of cardio in there, definitely can't argue with the results.
    Was wondering about the slow paced cardio too, what do you do and for how long?

Thanks for sharing

U mirin' the Banter  
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiD View Post
    I'm just curious about the intermittent fasting, is that something you do constantly or just when you want to cut down bodyfat?
    Do you not feel a bit weird or groggy if you haven't eaten in that long?
    And are you going through bulking and cutting cycles, or is your diet and training pretty stable?

Can't really criticize this workout, sounds legit, a lot of cardio in there, definitely can't argue with the results.
    Was wondering about the slow paced cardio too, what do you do and for how long?

Thanks for sharing
    I do it constantly, it started out as a way to lose bodyfat but I find it's much easier to maintain a healthy lifestyle that way.
    Actually I feel better on an empty stomach then I do on a full one, and I find that fasting for 20 hours really isn't that big of a deal anymore although it used to be at first.
    My diet and training is pretty stable, it might change in the future but for now I'm sticking to my current plan because it's worked wonders so far but anything can change I guess.

Running, I tend to go for about 40 minutes to half an hour of steadily paced jogging
    ​Lest we forget

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric. View Post
    I figure it's time to share my approach to bodybuilding with you guys. I'm currently doing the most effective method of training that I've ever done and it's been giving me decent results. Before I get into this I want you to know that you might not agree with my method of training, this is fine but please don't hate in the comment section because I don't do legs or rows etc...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cedric
    I only eat between 1 and 5 PM (4-hour) window, I've written up a thread on why I do this and why I believe it's the fastest way too lose bodyfat.
    okay.. I.F seems very scary though i am a beginner. I just wanted to know how are you able to eat between the 4 hour window? how much calories are you having per a day?

i notice if i don't eat for a long period of time , lets say i tried I.F, and what i experience is growling stomach, headaches and such.. is this bad?

and wont starving yourself cause muscle loss?
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/barnowlhorror.gif

U mirin' the Banter  
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b004u View Post
    okay.. I.F seems very scary though i am a beginner. I just wanted to know how are you able to eat between the 4 hour window? how much calories are you having per a day?

i notice if i don't eat for a long period of time , lets say i tried I.F, and what i experience is growling stomach, headaches and such.. is this bad?

and wont starving yourself cause muscle loss?
    I get about 2000 calories per day, and I really don't have to put much effort in at all really

No it won't cause muscle loss, but headaches are never a good thing you can try it for a week and see if the headaches subside, otherwise I.F. might not be for you !
    ​Lest we forget