Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Beer Queer

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Well, here we are lads. Its 2021. We finally made it through what has to have been one of the wildest years to date.

I wanted to wrap up 2020 / kick off 2021 with something special. I've been sort of 'collecting' some unique brews while trying to decide which I would use in this post. I wanted to do something special as a way to commemorate the transition to 2021, and also celebrate a forum-specific first (by yours truly (more on that later)) Ultimately, I am extremely pleased with my choice, which is a 'double brut india pale ale with mango and black currant.' This guy... this one is heavy. Clocking in at a massive 14.2%, this heavy-hitter seemed to fit the bill nicely. True to double-ipa form, Batch 10k has a dark and caramelly color, and pours malty and thick. But underneath all that, the black currant and mango notes provide a nice tart finish and do a nice job of hiding the ridiculously high abv. What you dont expect though, is that this is VERY smooth and drinkable, which makes it equally as dangerous. I can see why it was only sold in a special "Hoppy Holidays" variety pack - cause only one is needed to get you to that place. This was sort of the 'flagship' of the pack, and I both want to drink it quickly because of how awesome and tasty it is, and drink it slowly to savor it. What an incredibly unique and intriguing brew, to say the least!

I mentioned earlier there was also a forum-related reason for me landing on Batch 10k. You see, as far as the numbers go, I was the first RiD member to reach 5k total hours botted using ONLY Genesis - a feat which I will say I am very happy with! (still waiting on my awesome forum badge ) I am a huge advocate for how capable and versatile Genesis is, and to be able to back it up with such a feat is icing on the cake for all of the gains I have had over the years, and will continue to get using this amazing platform. A beer called 'Batch 10k' seemed the perfect way to mark my 5k accomplishment. I hope you all have had, or will have, similar success stories in your time with Genny!

As we wander our way into the next year of this already tumultuous decade, I wish you all nothing but the best!

2020 may have been a heavy year, but equally as heavy is our beer.

Cheers, my friends =)

Batch 10000 | Short's Brewing Company | BeerAdvocate

Last edited by iStokee; 01-05-2021 at 02:48 AM.

2. Smurf thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    A very "Hoppy" Holidays to you all!

I was I was clever and original enough to say that I thought of that on my own - but as you will see in a moment, that is not the case

Judging by my last visit to this space, it has been nearly a year since we've blown the dust off this dingy place and gathered 'round for a round. This makes me sad. However, I also find solace in knowing that no matter how long it has been, when we do finally get together it feels as though no time has passed at all.

Anyways, speaking of cases, check this out! -

What you're looking at there is one of the many annual treats bestowed upon us by the beer gods. This variety pack reigns supreme in its class in terms of value and quality. That is of course, as long as you are a hop-head like me Shown on the box is the brewery's owner a one "Joe Shorts"

So here's the plan - given that there are 6 different brews in the pack, I will be featuring a new of them here each week for the next 6 weeks - which should push us through the holiday season and right on into the new year. Seems like a good way to wrap up the year

The first stop on our roadmap is a big one, a HUGE one. Not just in flavor but also in abv

Today I share with you one big "Humongous Huma"

Before we get to the beer though, take a moment to check out this page and learn a bit more about Short's Brewery - Our Story - Short's Brewing Company - Michigan Brewery - Short's Brewing Company (shortsbrewing.com). There is an incredible video that I encourage each of you to watch = )

Alright, beer time!

This big 'ol beast packs a whallop, checking in at 12.7% - something I did not realize when I cracked and poured it. Whoops In hindsight though, this makes sense, as it IS a triple IPA after all. The notes of caramel and biscuit, and a hints of spruce and citrus, do little to mask the overall "boozy-ness" of this thing and you can easily sense the gravity of the beer, and appreciate the warm numbness it invites. Humongous Huma is every bit the IPA x3 secounterpart of its namesake - Huma Lupa Licious. In fact, Short's themselves describe it as -
    "What happens when you triple the ingredients in Huma Lupa Licious? We didn’t know either, but it sure was fun to find out. Three times the hops, three times the malt, three times the complex hop and malt theme park in your mouth. Rich with candied grapefruit and pine aromas with toasty, biscuity, caramel maltiness for a full-bodied, boozy celebration of all things awesome. Exclusively available in the 2021 Super Hoppy Holidays Variety Pack. Sharing is caring folks.

Since I am unable to share this with you in person, I am happy to do so (at least) in this forum. Cheers to you during this holiday season!

Last edited by iStokee; 11-27-2021 at 03:35 PM.

5. RiD, church liked this post
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    No way dude... two posts here within the same week? Far out!

For the second installment in this year's Hoppy Holiday Series, I am happy to pass along to you some Double Psychedelic Cat Grass. I mean, you're all a cool here, right?

This deliciously doubled version of the OG cat grass stays true to the theme of our hoppy pack and checks in at 9.1% abv. The trifecta of mosaic, amarillo, and citra hops add notes of pine and citrus on the nose, matched with a boozy bready caramel malt added in as a counterbalance when doubling it. As you drink, there are first the citrusy notes of mango, pineapple and grapefruit, and the same malty caramel finish to round out the trip and remind you it's not all sunshine and rainbows when you're frolicking amongst the trees.

Overall, this is definitely a pleasure to drink, and a very effective way of "blowing-off" some steam at the end of a long work week. A very tasty addition to our holiday pack indeed.

As always - cheers to you, my friends

8. BillyS, RiD, church liked this post
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    #3 in our Hoppy Holiday Pack (i know, i missed a few lol)

Yoda’s Blend 2020 - Short's Brewing Company (shortsbrewing.com)

@RiD
    This one's for you my brother = )

11. RiD, church liked this post