Thread: Medical Marijuana Guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Medical Marijuana Guys?

Hi All, I just want to ask if anyone ever tried using medical cannabis as an alternative meds? I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help you in terms of chronic pain, bone injuries, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more . Like this article about a marijuana strain called Blue Ivy from:http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/blue-ivy/ . Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don't even smoke. If this is true I cant find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Teamviewin' Trent  
       Merchant   $200 Credit    Premium: 3000->5000 hours used  Free Bots: 1000->1500 hours used  99 Firemaking 99 Fishing 99 Fletch 99 Wc 99 Thieving 99 Crafting 99 Con 99 Cook 99 Miner 99 Defence 99 Strength 99 Attack 99 Smith 99 Mager 
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I smoked for 6 years (2010-2016). I had a traumatic brain injury in the fall of 2009, which lead to Post-Concussive Disorder. This yielded me significant memory damages and near constant migraines. I tried everything from massage therapy (this helped a lot), to chiropractic care (also helped a lot, but insurance only covered 10 visits a year), acupuncture (didn't help), pain management clinics (didn't help), prescription and non-prescription drugs (didn't help much). Additionally, I struggled with bipolar disorder, anxiety, and depression.

I started researching the medical use of weed in early 2010, initially believing it was all that the government and school systems would want you to believe. However, I quickly began to learn that it has many positive medical effects, and that while it does carry some negative physical and mental effects in long-term use, these effects are relatively minor in comparison to many pharmaceuticals.

In states where medical marijuana is illegal, I urge people to attempt to find relief with legal measures first. Only if legal measures are not sufficient, either in cost or in effectiveness, would I suggest trying the medicinal use of marijuana.

I still have much of my research somewhere on my hard drive. Also, it is important to note that while marijuana is one of the least addictive drugs, it is still definitely possible to be come psychologically dependent or physically addicted. I myself experienced both of these after smoking for a number of years. I had to admit myself into an outpatient rehab to get things under control (very easily compared to other drugs), but addiction to that level is rare. Additionally, while there are no prominent studies showing brain damage from weed, it definitely does slow down the communication between neurons, and therefore negatively impacts processing speed and memory while it is actively in your system (up to several weeks after use). It is also not uncommon for weed smokers to have increased risk of bronchitis, and a reduced immune systems.

Some of its benefits include:
    --Increased ability to sleep and stay asleep
    --Reduces anxiety (although using for this purposes increases risk of dependency)
    --Reduces pain (especially neuropathic)
    --Reduces risks of some cancers
    --Increases appetite (in some users)
    --Decreases appetite (more common in long-term daily users)
    --Reduces nerve pain and inflammatory pain

All in all, marijuana definitely has many applications in medical care; however, it is not completely void of risks and consequences. Personally, once the pain of my injury subsided and I got my mental health under control through high quality therapy and properly balanced pharmaceuticals, I no longer have a desire to use weed. It affects my thinking in ways I no longer desire and I feel incapable of pursuing my current life goals without a sober mind. Now, this doesn't happen to everyone, as weed effects everyone differently, and these effects can change over time, but this is my current, personal position on it.
    Last edited by Trent!; 08-29-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    My ONLY Discord is trent#8258. Never trade me from anything else!

3. ninjja thanked for this post
    Endy., Swedish Viking liked this post
    Forum Moderator 
     Merchant   $200 Credit    Premium: 3000->5000 hours used  Free Bots: 500->750 hours used  99 Firemaking 99 Fishing 99 Fletch 99 Herblore 99 Wc 99 Thieving 99 Crafting 99 Con 99 Cook 99 Agility 99 Miner 99 Prayer 99 Hp 99 Defence 99 Strength 99 Attack 99 Range 99 Smith 99 Mager 
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    ^ screw all that. lets get stoned

6. ninjja thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'll be a pharmacist in a couple months so I guess I can try to give you a straight forward answer. In terms of efficacy as a primary source of treatment (not adjunctive care) it is effective for very few conditions. That being said, efficacy in a limited quantity of disease states doesn't somehow make it a poor agent for treatment.

1.) Neuropathic pain

When you look at other types of pain such as inflammatory pain (a main one in cancer) it hasn't shown to be an effective form of treatment by itself in clinical trials (mind you these trials are funded by the marijuana pharmaceutical companies and they don't want to report their product failing.... so its likely its not effective). So whenever someone is taking Gabapentin/neurontin or Lyrica/pregabalin they probably could have their condition covered by marijuana. A lot of people say because marijuana has anti-inflammatory properties it can therefore be used for inflammatory pain but this really isn't the case. Salmon has a lot of fats that are considered anti-inflammatory but like marijuana, it doesn't possess an adequate anti-inflammatory effect to be used as a form of treatment. If you have inflammatory pain you take advil/ibuprofen or aleve/naproxen, you don't eat a piece of salmon. Marijuana for other types of pain does have a benefit though if the patient is taking opioids. It's proven that using marijuana with opioids provides an opioid sparing effect, that meaning someone taking an opioid will need less frequent dose escalations to achieve equal pain control. Opioid dose escalation is needed because people develop a tolerance to those medications.

2.) Anti-emetic (makes you less nauseous)

Marijuana acts on multiple receptors that control the body's "vomit center" and does in fact reduce the sensation of nausea. It is used for patients resistant to traditional anti-emetic agents like Ondansetron.

3.) Seizure Disorder

People are not 100% sure how this happens but there is plenty of evidence that the CBD component of marijuana helps with epilepsy. Dravet syndrome is a severe life threatening form of epilepsy primarily found in children and it is drug resistant. These patients can literally die from their seizures and currently there are no drugs approved for this condition. The patients take traditional anti-epileptic meds as a precautionary treatment but recently it has been discovered CBD oil can reduce the frequency of seizures significantly.

4.) Muscle spasms

It relaxes muscles... simple enough lol

5.) AIDS wasting syndrome

Increases appetite, again simple... However it is not shown to increase appetite in chemo patients (odd, perhaps more tests are needed).

6.) Chronic migraines

Again, simple... although the mechanism isn't 100% understood but it helps in this area. An issue with current meds like sumitriptan/imitrex is that the overuse of this medication will actually give the patient more migraines...

So, those are to my knowledge the main applications for the use of medical marijuana. Marijuana can be an effective form of treatment in other conditions as an adjunctive therapy. When it comes to claims like "it kills cancer cells" well... anything can kill whatever type of cell outside of the body with ease. You crank up the concentration to levels that aren't tolerable and it kills the cell... however until specificity for cancer cells is shown or that the concentration is at a level that is tolerable by patients that data is meaningless. We already have something that can kill cancer cells in high concentrations that cause crappy side effects and kill normal cells... its called chemo. Further research has to be done but being a control I substance that is banned from study in most cases in the USA is not a formula for success. MDMA is currently in clinical trials for the use of PTSD but marijuana is being shunned mainly because big pharma doesn't want to lose money. So... if you want to smoke then smoke, its really not that bad lol. Alcohol and a lot of the meds we give out like candy (benzos and opioids) are more harmful despite what society depicts.

9. RiD, ninjja thanked for this post
    church, Trent! liked this post
    Lifetime ViP  
    Merchant   $200 Credit    Premium: 300->500 hours used  Free Bots: 20->100 hours used  99 Wc 99 Hp 99 Defence 99 Strength 99 Attack 99 Mager 
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Patent 6630507.(http://www.google.com/patents/US6630507) It's good for pain and got me out of a wheel chair and down to only one lesion on my brain and spine out of 27 spread out. I'm working and a productive member of society now. Also in college. It's a medicine to me and several others.
    Last edited by Tachycardia; 08-30-2017 at 06:05 AM.

12. kazarkas1993 liked this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardia View Post
    Patent 6630507.(http://www.google.com/patents/US6630507) It's good for pain and got me out of a wheel chair and down to only one lesion on my brain and spine out of 27 spread out. I'm working and a productive member of society now. Also in college. It's a medicine to me and several others.
    Yup, there are many more compounds found in marijuana that can have a positive medicinal effect but they just aren't known yet. THC and CBD are the main cannabinoids used when looking to treat conditions but the others should be looked into. Overall I believe there are over 60 different individual compounds and they will eventually be studied. I also forgot to say it helped with Parkinson's too.

Lifetime ViP  
    Merchant   $200 Credit    Premium: 300->500 hours used  Free Bots: 20->100 hours used  99 Wc 99 Hp 99 Defence 99 Strength 99 Attack 99 Mager 
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    I would go so far as to say that it helps Alzheimer's disease. I based my own treatment and dosing off of that premise. If it helps with the lesions on the brains of those people who suffer from Alzheimer, why won't it help with other auto immune diseases as well as anything nervous system related? Studies from Jerusalem show that it helps remove lesions for those who suffer from Alzheimer's. It just makes logical sense that I would try it to remove my lesions. That is why I am a productive member of society again and able to work a full time job and finish up some college. I basically treated and cured myself with my current knowledge on the medicine. There are several different compounds that can be used to help medical issues. From a cannabinoid that helps broken bones heal back stronger, to epilepsy/seizures, muscle spasms, schizophrenia if its high cannabodial also known as (cbd). There are several different cannabinoids, the problem we have is isolating and using each individual one for a treatment of medical abnormalities.
    Last edited by Tachycardia; 08-31-2017 at 04:59 AM.